Thursday, February 4, 2010

#11, 12, 13 and 14





Art Walk opening tomorrow at my little space to show the first 14 paintings. 

I was gone last week to visit my mom in Phoenix and decided to do the last 2 paintings in plein air there, one in my mom's yard and the other in her next door neighbor's yard. This yard is really something, he's a landscape architect and uses the yard for a showcase for his clients. It's one of the most peaceful places I've ever been. Sunset Magazine did an article on it in January, anyway as far as the painting goes I failed miserably, I didn't work things out very well before I started and realized too late it wasn't going to work.

To explain, I usually do an underpainting in the compliment of the main color, in this case red (this goes over the black gesso) then I let it dry before going in with my other colors, however, I couldn't let it dry because that would mean staying for another week (why I didn't remember this I have no idea). Anyway, I drew it out put in my underpainting and then started in with my greens, what happens when you mix compliments children?? yes, mud. blucky mud. So, I wiped off the mud, found that most of the underpainting was still there and took photos to finish it off here, which by the way I just finished today (hope no one touches them cause they'll still be wet). The result is kinda cool, I love the graphic nature of desert plants. 

By the way, Brian's garden is the third one.

No comments: